This hospital has been around for well over a century. The foundation stone of Victoria Hospital was laid on 22nd June 1897 by her highness Kempananjammani avaru, the then maharani regent of Mysore to commemorate the completion of 60 years of reign of Queen Victoria. Bangalore Victoria Hospital was formally inaugurated on 8th December 1900 by Lord Curzon the then Viceroy of India. The hospital started as a small health center with just 140 beds, however today it is the second largest hospital in India and can accommodate over a thousand patients at a time. The hospital is located at the heart of the city at Kalasipalam. This hospital is a teaching hospital and is attached to Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, which is regarded as one of the premier Medical Colleges of India.