Safdarjung Hospital was founded in 1942 during the Second World War as a Base Hospital for the allied forces. It was taken over by the Govt. of India in 1954 under the Ministry of Health. It has grown over the years into one of the largest, tertiary, level multi-disciplinary healthcare institutions in this part of the World. Based on the needs and developments in Medical Care, the hospital has been regularly upgrading its facilities from diagnostic and therapeutic aspects in all the specialities. The hospital which started with only 204 beds now has 1531 authorized beds. The hospital provides medical care to millions of citizens not only of Delhi and the neighbouring states but also to people of neighbouring countries.